Rutgers. Revolutionary for 250 Years.
Founded 10 years before the American Revolution, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is the eighth oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. Once a small sectarian college, Rutgers is now a leading national public research university. Our mission of teaching, research, and service has endured for nearly 250 years—a milestone few have reached. November 10, 2016, will mark Rutgers' 250th Birthday, an achievement that entreats us to reflect, to engage, and to celebrate. And, through Rutgers 250, our yearlong commemoration, we intend to do just that as we pay tribute to our institution.
Rutgers 250—Join in the Momentous Occasion
We invite you to join in the Rutgers 250 festivities and special programming at our three main locations throughout the year, leading up to November 10, 2016, the university's 250th birthday:
- Enjoy the Rutgers 250 Kickoff Celebration, a colonial-themed festival on November 10, 2015, and other events in the surrounding days.
- Attend any of the many academic programs planned, from symposia to 250-themed courses, you're sure to learn something new.
- Celebrate all that Rutgers offers by attending commemorative events sponsored by our departments and units throughout the year.
- For alumni, Rutgers 250 is a special opportunity for you to reconnect with your alma mater. We hope you'll come back to the campus for one of the many events planned over the next year. Be sure to check our events listing for details. As you reminisce about your college days, we invite you to participate in the #Rutgers250 project by sharing your stories, memories, and photos through social media, using #Rutgers250. Throughout the year, we will feature many of your Rutgers' moments on the #Rutgers250 page.
- Own a piece of Rutgers' history; afterall celebrating 250 years of anything is rare. Browse our shop for Rutgers 250 keepsakes and memorabilia.
Remember to keep checking back as we continue to update our commemorative events listing. We look forward to seeing you during this celebratory year.
Planning the 250th
We acknowledge the many members across the university who have contributed and who are coordinating the commemorations, including the Rutgers 250 Office and Coordinating Groups, Rutgers 250 Planning Committee (2012–2014), and Work Groups and Chairs (2012–2014). Thank you for making this a remarkable and unforgettable year.